I had the good fortune of encountering gooey butter cookies when I went to R’s family home for Christmas break last year. I generally don’t have a sweet tooth, but once I tried one of these babies, it took every ounce of self control not to nibble down the entire box of them. R’s mother has generously shared the recipe, and I’ve been enjoying these heavenly cookies to my heart’s content in the privacy of my own home 🙂
Makes about 30 cookies
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 8oz cream cheese, softened (Neufchatel or light cream cheese will NOT work!)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Mix all ingredients together. Dough will be too sticky to handle at this point, so place in fridge for about an hour or so.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll dough into balls, about 1.5 inches in diameter. Roll each cookie ball in powdered sugar and place on parchment paper, evenly spaced.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes. Cookie will still be light-colored and very soft. Take parchment paper off the rack and cool on cooling racks. The last bit is very important, otherwise the cookies will continue to cook, dry out, and not be very gooey.